Multi talented young Sportsman wins Chairman’s award

Originally published at: https://hornseacommunitynews.uk/sport/multi-talented-young-sportsman-wins-chairmans-award/

Our area had two nominations for this year’s ERYC Chairman’s Awards. One of them, Ben Copley from Sigglesthorne, won the top prize in the sporting category at the ceremony held at Bridlington Spa on Tuesday 8th May when East Riding of Yorkshire Council Chairman, Caroline Fox, announced the winners.
Ben is a talented athlete who competes in throwing events including Discus, Javelin and Shot Putt. Ben is currently ranked No 1 in the UK in Discus, No.2 in the Javelin in the Under-15 group.
In 2017 he competed at the United Kingdom Javelin Carnival and won Gold Medal in his Under-15 age group. He also represented Humberside Schools at the English Schools Championships in Birmingham where he competed in Discus where he threw a personal best and won the Gold Medal. In the England National Championships he competed in both Javelin and Discus and became double National Champion by winning the Gold Medal in both events.
Ben also plays Rugby Union and was selected to be part of the England Rugby Developing Player Programme, following trials he was offered a place in the Yorkshire Carnegie Development Squad. Ben also plays Rugby League and was offered a scholarship at both City of Hull and Castleford Tigers Rugby League Academies. However, his Dad (who is completely impartial) says he prefers Union!
As many readers will know, Ben is following in the family tradition of excelling in sport. His Granddad Don was a legend at Hornsea Rugby Club and his Dad Phil starred for both the football and rugby teams before turning to triathlons and going on to represent England.
Ben, who is 15, was proud to receive the award and he said, “It’s a really proud moment for me to get this award particularly given the achievements of the other two who were nominated. It’s also recognition for my parents and my coach who have taken me all over the country in order for me to compete.”

The other nominee was the Wrygarth Inn, Great Hatfield, in the business category.